Release Process Overview
After a release of Spot we expect: the release to be tagged in the git repository, the tarball to be available, Debian packages for both stable and unstable distributions to be available, the web site to be updated with the correct links and documentation, a mail to be have been sent to spot-announce, the next branch of the git repository to be ready to continue development with a different version number.
Part of the above process it automated. In particular the web pages are automatically constructed from the stable Debian packages. But a large part of the work is still done manually. Use the following check list.
A couple of days before the release:
masteris not already included in
next, merge it.
- Check locally that the online translator page in
wrap/python/ajax/is still working: it's not part of the test suite, but it will be installed on the web server.
- Check that the third-party tools installed in the docker containers are up-to-date.
- Rebuild the docker containers (gadl/spot-debuild & gadl/spot-debuild-i386) by triggering new builds on dockerhub. This will ensure that our Debian packages are built against the most recent version of all the other Debian packages they depend upon.
- Make sure
nextcompiles with the new container for unstable (this is done every night after a new commit on
- Make sure
nextcompiles with the new container for stable (you need to trigger this build by hand)
The day of the release:
- Make sure
nextis fully green on the build farm.
- Read, complete, and clean up
- update the version number and release date in
doc/org/setup.org. Beware about this last file: some of the macros are links that have to be updated with
C-c C-l(review your diff carefully).
- commit the above version change locally
- tag the above commit with
git tag -a spot-X-Y-Zwhere X-Y-Z corresponds to version X.Y.Z.
- hard reset master and stable to the current commit (or merge next into these two branches, it should have the same effect)
- push master, stable, and next on the server, using the
--tagsoption to send the tag as well (the tag must be in the repository before you attempt to build the Debian packages)
- trigger a build of the Debian packages for both stable on unstable.
- while the packages are built, prepare the announcement mail for spot-announce
- once the Debian packages are built, trigger a build of spot-www to update the docker containing the web-server (Note that the web site uses the stable packages, while the sandbox and official tarball are generated from the unstable packages.)
- wait for the next hour (the web server is updated by a crontab that runs at xx:20 every hour)
- check that the new web server is running well
- send the announcement email
ato the version number in
configure.ac, and add an empty entry at the top of
NEWSwith this version number
- commit and push this change on branch next
- update this page with for any step that you found incorrect or missing